Call for nominations: Professional Division Committee Chair
Nominations for Position August 2021-August 2023
DEADLINE: 13 April 2021, 12:00 CEST
IFLA's Professional Council ensures coordination of the work of the IFLA Professional Units who are responsible for professional activities, policies and programmes - Sections, Special Interest Groups, Working Groups, and Networks. The Professional Division Committee Chair is a member of the Professional Council and insipires, leads and co-ordinates the work of their Division.
Who can stand for this position?
Officers of the Professional Standing Committees. The term ‘Officers’, for the purpose of this election cycle and for this particular position, includes the Chair, Secretary and Information Coordinator of the current Standing Committees.
What is the term of office?
The term of office is two (2) years from 2021 – 2023.
What are the roles and responsibilities for this position?
There are eight (8) Professional Division Committee Chairs, who lead their Divisions in developing activities, action plans and projects (including funding requests) in line with IFLA’s mission, values and strategy (liaising with the Professional Council, IFLA HQ and Units).
They provide recommendations on the formation and cessation of Professional Units in the Division, and advise the Professional Council Chair on representation of Units’ interests at the Governing Board. They make recommendations on funding requests from their Division, and encourage collaboration within and across Divisions.
Within the new Governance Structure, the role has an emphasis on advising, facilitating and coaching. Therefore, candidates stand for one of the eight positions as a Professional Division Committee Chair rather than as a representative of a particular Division.
What skills and attributes do I need for this position?
Candidates for this position should be able to demonstrate:
- expertise, experience and interest in/across the library field, and in particular of the work of IFLA’s Professional Units;
- proven ability to inspire, provide guidance and support, and represent the interests of a diverse range of colleagues;
- an interest in strategic planning, implementation and review processes;
- experience in leadership, communication, representation and networking;
- willingness and ability to devote time and energy to the role – this is usually several hours per month;
- time allowance to prepare and attend meetings of the Professional Council and Professional Division Committee, and financial resources to attend at least the IFLA annual Congress;
- an ability to act with respect, trust, confidentiality and transparency and recognize the need to protect personal and privileged information. They must declare any conflicts of interest and abstain from discussions where they have a conflict or potential conflict of interest.
How many nominations do I need?
Each candidate requires three (3) nominations for this position.
Who can be a nominator?
All members of Professional Section Standing Committees are able to nominate. Members of Section Standing Committees have received an election email containing information describing how they can submit a nomination.
How many candidates can each Section Standing Committee member nominate for this position?
Each member of a Section Standing Committee can nominate eight (8) candidates for the position.
How do I find a nominator?
How do I submit my nominee consent form?
Those wishing to stand as a candidate will need to submit a nominee consent form for this position. This should be done once nominators have been found. In this form you will be asked to provide a 300 word statement describing how you demonstrate the skills and attributes required.
See: nominee consent form (Professional Division Committee Chair)
A nomination only becomes valid when there is a match between the number of required nominations and a completed nominee consent form.