Call for nominations: Professional Council Chair
Nominations for Position August 2021-August 2023
DEADLINE: 13 April 2021, 12:00 CEST
IFLA's Professional Council (PC) ensures coordination of the work of the IFLA Professional Units who are responsible for professional activities, policies and programmes - Sections, Special Interest Groups, Working Groups, and Networks. The Professional Council Chair insipires, leads and co-ordinates the work of Professional Units. The Professional Council Chair is a full member of the Governing Board so this is a busy position with obligations for involvement in meetings of both the Governing Board and the Professional Council. It will also be rewarding with the opportunity to widen your international network and understand more deeply the concerns of the profession.
Who can stand for this position?
Outgoing Chairs and Secretaries of the Professional Divisions.
What is the term of office?
The term of office is two (2) years from 2021 – 2023.
What are the roles and responsibilities for this position?
The main role of the Professional Council Chair is to chair the Professional Council and represent the Professional Council on the Governing Board. It is a position that is heavily involved in decisions regarding the IFLA Congress.
What skills and attributes do I need for this position?
A candidate for this position should be able to demonstrate:
- expertise, experience and interest in/across the library field, and in particular of the work of IFLA’s Professional Units;
- proven ability to inspire, provide guidance and support, and represent the interests of a diverse range of colleagues;
- an understanding of financial management, fundraising and risk-management;
- an understanding of strategic planning, implementation and review processes;
- proven leadership skills, with experience in communication, representation and networking, an ability to leverage networks, and an interest in library politics and advocacy;
- willingness and ability to devote time and energy to the role – this is usually several hours per week;
- time allowance to prepare and attend meetings of the Governing Board and Professional Council, and financial resources to attend at least the IFLA annual Congress;
- an ability to act with respect, trust, confidentiality and transparency within the Governing Board and recognize the need to protect personal and privileged information. They must declare any conflicts of interest and abstain from discussions where they have a conflict or potential conflict of interest.
How many nominations do I need?
Each candidate requires five (5) nominations for this position.
Who can be a nominator?
All current Standing Committee Officers (Chairs and Secretaries) can nominate candidates for this position. The Officers have received an election email containing information describing how they can submit a nomination.
How many candidates can each Standing Committee Officer nominate for this position?
Each Standing Committee Officer can nominate one (1) candidate for this position.
How do I find a nominator?
How do I submit my nominee consent form?
Current Chairs and Secretaries of Professional Divisions wishing to stand should submit a nominee consent form which is required for this position. This should be done once nominators have been found. In this form you will be asked to provide a 500 word statement describing how you demonstrate the skills and attributes required.
See: nominee consent form (Professional Council Chair)
A nomination only becomes valid when there is a match between the number of required nominations and a completed nominee consent form.