13 February 2014
NOW OPEN: ARL Attendance Grant applications for IFLA Congress Lyon 2014
Closing date: Friday February 28th, 2014
The Academic and Research Libraries Section (ARL), with generous sponsorship by Ex Libris and Sage, is offering THREE (3) Attendance Grants for the IFLA Congress in Lyon 2014 to an information professional from each of these regions:
- Latin America
- Asia/Pacific region
Each grant covers the registration fee of Euro 455 as well as support for travel and/or accommodation up to Euro 700.
Applicants must be able to attend the Congress and will be responsible for all other costs associated with Congress attendance. Please see the Conference website for further details about the Congress.
The winners will be required to attend the IFLA Awards session to receive their certificates, and also attend the ARL’s Hot Topics session. They will also be required to take part in various publicity events during the conference, such as photo shoots and events organised at the two sponsors’ exhibition stalls. Their essays may be published on the ARL Section blog before the conference.
Recipients will be required to write a brief article about their Congress experience (approximately 500 words) for publication on the ARL Section blog within 3 months of the end of the Congress.
- Applicants must be eligible to obtain a visa for travel.
- Applicants must declare they are able to fund all other costs beyond the grant that are involved in attending the Congress, e.g. all other hotel, travel and subsistence expenses NOT covered by the Grant.
- Those who have previously received this Grant (formerly known as Essay Contest) cannot apply again.
Your application will include:
(A) A covering letter providing:
- your contact details (e.g. name and email address)
- short summary of your employment and/or student status
First-time IFLA attendees, young professionals, students of Library and Information Studies (LIS) and those working in LIS jobs for the first time will have an advantage in the competition, so make sure you mention this if you belong to one of these categories.
(B) A written statement of up to 500 words, on
- how attending IFLA will benefit you in a personal and/or professional capacity, with reference to the 2014 theme of the conference;
- how you intend to apply the benefits that you have outlined in a practical way after the Congress, either for you personally or for the library/information unit you work in;
- a budget/cost estimate for travel and hotel up to Euro 700, that would not normally be funded by other grants or your place of work.
(C) A declaration that you are able to fund all other costs beyond the Grant when attending the Congress, and that you are eligible to obtain a visa for travel
Your application must be received by Friday February 28th, 2014
- All applications will be acknowledged upon receipt
- All applicants will receive notification of award status no later than May 1, 2014
Please send your application with your address, telephone number, and email address no later than February 28th, 2014, to Ane Landoy, via attachment in email – firstname.lastname@example.org
This Attendance Grant is generously sponsored by both Ex Libris and Sage
We humbly request your support in encouraging applicants to respond by forwarding the information to other list managers, colleagues and other associations.