28 November 2016
Call for nominations: IFLA Committee on Copyright and other Legal Matters (CLM)
Term of office: August 2017 – August 2019
On behalf of the Governing Board of IFLA, I am writing to invite you to nominate an individual to a place on the IFLA/CLM Advisory Committee.
The deadline for the receipt of nominations at IFLA Headquarters is Monday, 01 March 2017. No late submissions will be accepted.
Copyright and other Legal Matters (CLM) is an initiative within IFLA to represent the voice of the international library community in copyright, intellectual property and other legal concerns. CLM provides advice to the Governing Board and Secretary General on these issues in relation to IFLA’s strategic direction, and works in consultation with other relevant IFLA professional programmes and sections.
The responsibilities of the CLM Advisory Committee are to:
advise the IFLA Governing Board on:
- Copyright and intellectual property
- Economic and trade barriers to the acquisition of library and information materials
- Internet Governance
- Data protection, privacy and surveillance
- Subscription and license agreements
- Other legal matters of international significance to library and information services
- monitor the state of CLM matters affecting the library and information community worldwide;
- promote awareness of and activities related to copyright and other legal matters affecting the library and information community worldwide;
- support IFLA policy development on matters within the Advisory Committee’s areas of expertise, directly or indirectly related to library and information services,
- collaborate with IFLA’s advisory committees and professional units where specific expertise may be provided by CLM or drawn from IFLA’s committees and their networks;
- cooperate with other international and regional organisations to advance IFLA’s positions and policies relating to CLM.
Nominations will be considered for the term of office 2017-2019.
Only one nomination will be accepted from each Association and Institutional Member. The Board takes into account the need to ensure wide geographical representation on the Advisory Committee.
Nominees should have:
- significant interest and expertise in the issues within the Advisory Committee’s terms of reference;
- demonstrated knowledge about and activity focused on copyright and libraries within their country;
- the ability to report authoritatively on the state of affairs in their own countries and regions in respect of copyright and other legal matters listed above;
a reasonable expectation of being able to attend (without cost to IFLA) the business and professional meetings of the Advisory Committee. The business meetings are usually held before and during the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in:
- Wrocław, Poland, August 2017
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, August 2018
- August 2019, location still to be announced
- a working knowledge of at least one of the working languages of IFLA (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Russian and Spanish). Since the business meetings of IFLA are generally conducted in English, reasonable fluency in this language is necessary to be able to fully participate as a member of the IFLA/CLM Advisory Committee; and
- the ability and willingness to contribute regularly to the work of the Advisory Committee in between congresses.
The Chair of the CLM Committee, Evelyn Woodberry, will advise the Governing Board on the selection of names from amongst those nominated
The maximum size of the IFLA/CLM Advisory Committee is 13 members.
The Governing Board will appoint the members of the Advisory Committee and successful nominees will be informed by May 2017 so that they can make arrangements to attend the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Wrocław, Poland, 19-25 August 2017.
Please use only the enclosed nomination form.* It must be signed by the authorized signatory, that is the individual who is listed in IFLA’s records as the organisation’s highest official and whose name appears on the attached nomination form.
I am looking forward to receiving your response.
*Nomination forms, including supporting information, have been dispatched to all voting Members of IFLA on 28 November 2016.