Honorary Fellow is IFLA's highest award and is conferred on the basis of merit on a person who has delivered long and distinguished service to IFLA and the global library field. It may not necessarily be awarded every year.
The Governing Board may confer Honorary Fellowship on a person who has delivered long and distinguished service to IFLA and the global library field.
Nominations for Honorary Fellow shall be submitted to the Secretary General on the prescribed form by the date determined.
Nominations for Honorary Fellow shall be required to have at least four nominators from different countries who are current IFLA Members or Personal Affiliates.
Nominations shall include evidence to support any claims of the nominee's long and distinguished service to IFLA and the global library field.
Nominations shall be accompanied by at least three written referee reports. Referees should not also be nominators, and at least one referee should be an authorized representative of an IFLA Member or Personal Affiliate.
Referees shall address the nominee's suitability for the award, in relation to the criteria.
In making its decision, the Executive Committee will examine only the evidence provided by the nominators and the three referee reports submitted with this nomination. The evidence and referee reports provided should be based on the following required criteria:
- Exemplary personal and professional contribution to IFLA
- Leadership and influence amongst colleagues and peers
- Exemplary contribution to the global library field
- Efforts in fostering IFLA values, for example, diversity, inclusion and equality
- Deborah Jacobs, 2019
- Donna Scheeder, 2019
- Sinikka Sipilä, 2018
- Jennefer Nicholson, 2016
- Ingrid Parent, 2015
- Alex Byrne, 2014
- Winston Tabb, 2012
- Ellen Tise, 2012
- Claudia Lux, 2010
- Klaus G. Saur, 2009
- Kay Raseroka, 2007
- Marta Terry, 2006 († 2018)
- Ross Shimmon, 2005
- Christine Deschamps, 2003
- Marianne Scott, 2003
- Warren Horton, 1999 († 2003)
- Russell Bowden, 1995 († 2016)
- Marcelle Beaudiquez, 1993 († 2019)
- Wim R.H. Koops, 1989
- Henriette D. Avram, 1987 († 2006)
- Margreet Wijnstroom, 1987 († 2018)
- Günther Pflug, 1981 († 2008)
- Harry C. Campbell, 1979 († 2009)
- Robert Vosper, 1977 († 1994)
- Joachim Wieder, 1977 († 1992)
- Ms Margarita Rudominó, 1973 († 1990)
- Leendert Brummel, 1965 († 1976)
- Arthur C. Breycha-Vauthier, 1964 († 1986)
- Julien Cain, 1964 († 1974)
- Tietse Pieter Sevensma, 1958 († 1965)
- Herbert Maurice Cashmore, 1952 († 1972)
- Aleksander Ludwik Birkenmajer, 1947 († 1967)
- Cardinal Eugene Tisserant, 1936 († 1972)
† = Deceased
Last update: 15 March 2021